"When I write a math test, and score a good grade I feel accomplished. When I work in theater and put on a show, and see the enticing environment and story I have helped engaged our audience in, Its breathtaking."

Sunday 5 February 2012

Theatre of the Absurd


LATE
original theatre of the absurd piece
Written by Laughlin Mckinnon

Man enters room interrupting the other mans presentation. 

Miguel: Late 
Laughlin: Early in fact!
Miguel: That of a drunken man, a foolish man!
Laughlin: Wise?
Miguel: Foolish!
Laughlin: One and the same my dear
Miguel: fine, well take it and be done (throws the boot)
Laughlin: But… I have but only two feet, or is this for throwing?
Miguel: Can you not appreciate a gift? foolish….
Laughlin: Wise?
Miguel: One and the same
Laughlin: Is one always the same, how about two? or three?
Miguel: three and the different i suppose. nothing more than that.
Laughlin: Can i borrow something
Miguel: if it is there
Laughlin: (puts the boot upside down and shakes it, nothing comes out so he peers inside) empty, 
fool
Miguel: full?
Laughlin: not at all!
Miguel: could have told you that!
Laughlin: Am i not fit to be informed?
Miguel: rather, I not fit to inform
Laughlin: Rat!
Miguel: Rat?
Laughlin: Cheese (pointing to his trench coat)
Miguel: take it then (throws him a wheel of cheese), but savour it, thats my last
Laughlin: (smells the cheese) it's delicious
Miguel: you have yet to taste it
Laughlin: I need not, (continues to smell the cheese) lasts much longer this way.
Miguel: foolish
Laughlin: well give me a knife then!
Miguel: take it
Laughlin: (discovers a knife in the boot)"what about your feet
Miguel: what about my cheese?…………Hurry up!
Laughlin: up?
Miguel: yes, up
Laughlin: When can we begin?
Miguel: Late, now, thanks to yourself.
Laughlin: But when?
Miguel: Well they have all arrived, i don't see whats holding us up
Laughlin: Up?!
Miguel: yes, up
Laughlin: I think you've gone mad, for i feel not a thing.
Miguel: Thus, the boot!
Laughlin: ahhh, yes….the boot…..what boot?
Miguel: never mind, we had better begin, before we run out of time
Laughlin: "how long is that"
Miguel: years, maybe days, depending on one's goals
Laughlin: Then I doubt i'll ever die!
Miguel: foolish
Laughlin: wise
Miguel: one and the same

This piece inspired by Samuel Beckett's "Waiting for Godot" was written for a presentation on theatre of the absurd, it was a very useful way to introduce our classmates to the idea of theatre of the absurd. 


I found the topic very intriguing and a copy of the powerpoint and research material is available on Pearson College Peernet and Studentshare.

No comments:

Post a Comment